14 April 2011

i love summer!

--I just want to say living in the Midwest can be challenging during the winter months. To be honest I became disillusioned this winter. I began to believe that I didn't love biking. What? I know. Let me explain; if you remember, I hurt both of my knees in a bike polo accident. One knee got better, but the other one remained injured until about a month ago.


- --For some reason I switch bike frames and was riding around on a fixed gear that was too small for me. This is not healthy for your knees. I rode around on that damn bike for a long time and even competed in a long urban race with it. At the end of the race my knees were killing me.


---Last week the weather here was beautiful. I pulled out all of the bikes from the garage, got air in the tires, etc. The kids were riding around in the street and driveway. I hooked up the bike trailer, we went on a ride and I went on several short rides by myself. It was Great! I felt like a kid and all those good feelings about biking came flooding back.


---At this point I was still over fixed gear bikes. Then I switched my wheels over to my original frame, an old Raleigh Grand-Prix that fits me brilliantly. I jumped on it and whizzed down the street. Amazing, I couldn't believe I was riding around on a too small frame. My Raleigh rides like a champ, the gearing is perfect and the crank-arms are longer and feel better. I envisioned myself riding on and not stopping.


- That was two days ago and I said to myself that it was the best day I ever had. Yard work, family, bike rides and sunshine.
Peace, love and wheeeeels

No comments:

Post a Comment